If you’re like most of us, you absolutely hate house cleaning! Between dirty mop water, carpet hair, overflowing trash, and the dreaded bathroom toilets, we rarely get excited to get out the vacuum, pull out a broom, or get our gloves on and scrub our bathrooms. However, there are those that have turned these dreaded chores into palatable opportunities, helping those of us who struggle with the very thought of cleaning, make it something that we feel we can conquer.
One of these amazing people is Becky Rapinchuk also known as Clean Mama. She is what has become known as a “cleaning influencer” and has built a brand and business around helping us find the best ways to clean. With her book, guides, and even non toxic cleaning supplies available, Becky has become a major force in the industry and has allowed us all to have a better perspective. We had the opportunity to spend some time with her and get some of her best tips for cleaning right. We hope you find as much value as we have. Enjoy!
Thank you Becky for spending some time with us. Tell us about Clean Mama. How did you get started as a cleaning influencer?
I started Clean Mama in 2009 – back before there were cleaning influencers – I just wanted to share my cleaning routine with other moms. I had figured out how to clean in minutes a day and thought it might be helpful to other busy families.
That’s amazing. Your routine has definitely been such a game changer for many others and has quickly generated an amazing new platform. What are some of the biggest cleaning challenges everyone has and how can we overcome them?
Time and energy are the biggest cleaning challenges. When we finally get home for the day, we don’t feel like cleaning. If we have energy, we might not feel much like cleaning and if we have time we might not feel like cleaning. I show people what to clean and when to clean it so they don’t have to think about it.
That is very true. After a long day, the last thing we want to do is get out our cleaning tools. What are some of your favorite cleaning products and tools for getting the job done right?
I love using natural ingredients and coming up with my own cleaning solutions. I love a glass spray bottle and a microfiber cleaning cloth – both give me lots of cleaning options and keep things simple. Less is more when it comes to cleaning and less supplies equal less storage and less stuff.
Natural ingredients are so much better for us and the environment. It is amazing how many options we have with a few simple ingredients. What is the most overlooked area of a home to clean and what is your tip for doing it right?
Bathrooms. I recommend cleaning bathrooms on Mondays and the bathroom gets a full cleaning. I have a quick clean method to get in and out of your bathrooms in 15 minutes.
- Clear off your counters and sinks and get started.
- Start with the mirrors – spray your cloth (not the mirror) and wipe. I use microfiber for lint and streak-free mirrors. Keep this cloth handy and reuse in each bathroom.
- Next, move on to your sink, toilet, and bathtub or shower (if you don’t use a tub or shower regularly, you don’t need to clean it weekly) and quickly spray with your disinfecting cleaner.
- Use your preferred toilet cleaner and brush and do a quick clean of the toilet. Then REPEAT these steps in each bathroom. Once you’ve done that, go back to the first bathroom.
- Wipe the sink, wipe the toilet, and wipe the tub or shower – take care to use a separate cloth or paper towel for the each toilet, sink, and bathtub/shower to avoid cross-contamination. Don’t forget to get the base of your toilets too – I wipe these last.
- Place dirty cloths in a container and move on to wiping down the next bathroom and the next until you have wiped down each bathroom.
- Put out fresh, clean hand towels and that’s it!
Bathrooms are definitely the trickiest. That is such a great routine! What are some of your favorite cleaning hacks?
I love using baking soda and essential oil as a Nightly Sink Scrub – mix it up in a mason jar, sprinkle a little in the kitchen sink with dish soap, scrub and rinse. Your tomorrow morning self will thank you!
What a great tip! When it comes to getting the kids involved, what do you recommend?
SHOW them what to do, clean WITH them and don’t correct things that aren’t perfect.
Perfect. For a healthy, happy home, why do you feel cleaning right, makes all the difference?
Cleaning with safe products and knowing what needs to be cleaned and when it needs to be cleaned makes a huge difference. You know that what you’re using is safe and you know it’s good for your family!
We couldn’t agree more! Lastly, if you could change one thing to make cleaning easier, what would it be?
Floors that wash themselves 🙂